Maya Ruins of Tikal & Copan RECENTLY UPDATED FOR 2017! With more than 130 high-resolution images, maps and a detailed tour itinerary, this is the definitive travel guide to the Maya sites of Tikal and Copan.
The Maya religious centers of Tikal and Copán are one of Mesoamerica’s cultural treasures, the remains of a great civilization that prospered for 2,000 years (peaking from 600-800 CE) and created some of the most impressive art and architecture in the New World. Still infused with their historical magic, they are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
* Background. We start off by providing some critical background information — focusing on cosmology and the role of the dynastic ruler — that makes sense of the forms and symbols of the unique Maya aesthetic.
* Tours of Tikal and Copán. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we then turn our attention to two of the most spectacular Maya cities:
* Guatemala’s Tikal and Honduras’ Copán. For each city, we start by introducing the distinctive features of its art and architecture, isolating key features and concepts that you will see again and again as you make your way through the site. The tours walk you through the highlights, aided by high-resolution images and a discussion that ties it all together.
Bonus site: Quiriguá. As a special bonus, we also profile the smaller Maya site of Quiriguá, an ideal addition to your existing Tikal and/or Copán itinerary.
* Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, detailed maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
* Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
* NEW! Customers can now print this guidebook with our new PDF-on-Demand service. See the final chapter in the book for details.
ABOUT APPROACH GUIDES
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple’s travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com — a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What’s hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor’s famous temple structures in Cambodia.
- LA Times